This homemade Vitamix tomato soup is easy to make and is smooth and creamy in texture. If you don’t have much time to prepare dinner, this is a perfect recipe for busy moms as it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare it.
The best part about this soup is that it uses canned tomatoes and can be made year-round. This is comfort food that you can serve with simple grilled cheese or crackers.
During the autumn and winter, everyone craves tomato soup, and the first thing that comes to mind is getting canned soup. But if you are like me and cannot stand the metallic taste of canned food, this recipe is a savior.
This of this tomato soup recipe is the homemade version of the canned soup, which is tastier with fresh flavors. It gets ready within 15 minutes, and you only need a handful of basic ingredients that are available in most households.
Why you will love this recipe
- This quick soup is ready in just 15 minutes.
- It’s vegan and gluten-free.
- A perfect alternative to canned soup.
- You don’t need to cook the soup, just blend it.
- It’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Key Ingredients of the Soup
- Canned tomatoes: Instead of using fresh tomatoes, this soup is made from canned tomatoes, so you can make it anytime, even in the winter.
- Broth: In this recipe, I’m using chicken broth, but you can also use vegetable broth if you want vegan soup. If you are buying broth from the supermarket, make sure it’s low-sodium.
- Tomato paste: It thickens the soup and gives it more flavor.
- Garlic: No soup is ready without garlic, as it adds flavor to the soup.
- Seasoning: For this soup, we are going with traditional thyme, rosemary, and oregano. You can add Italian seasoning as well as it works great with tomato soup.
- Heavy cream: It adds creaminess to the soup. Half and half also works great. If you want a dairy-free soup, you can add plant-based milk or olive oil.
- Shallots: They add more flavor to the soup.
- Salt and pepper for seasoning.
When you transfer the soup to bowls, garnish with a bit of heavy cream and cheese.
There are plenty of things you can serve with the soup. Here are a few of my favorite side dishes that go well with this tomato soup:
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Potato salad
- Fried cheese sticks
- Baked potatoes
- Baked cheese Quesadillas
- Avocado salad
- Sweet potato fries
- Fried zucchini
- Smoked cornbread
- Grilled chicken
- Eggplant Parmesan
- Cheesy garlic bread
Tips to Make the Best Soup
Most people complain that the soup is too runny. If that is the case, you can thicken the soup by adding cornstarch. Just mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch in a little bit of water and add it to the soup mixture. Blend at high speed, and you will see that the soup will thicken instantly.
A little bit of cornstarch goes a long way. Don’t add too much as it will make the soup lumpy.
Instead of adding raw garlic, I prefer using roasted garlic in this recipe as it enhances the flavor of the soup. You can roast garlic beforehand and use it in your soup and other recipes.
If you want to make this soup dairy-free, just omit the cream, and instead add a bit of olive oil to taste. However, a little bit of cheese on the soup tastes absolutely lovely.
Try Other Recipes
Vitamix Tomato Soup Recipe
This soup is very creamy, packed with fresh tomatoes and a satin blend in Vitamix.
- 1 can of whole, peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1/4 tsp chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add tomatoes, broth, shallot, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano, tomato paste, and sugar in a Vitamix blender (or any blender you have).
- Turn the machine and blend. Gradually increase the speed and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper and if you are using Vitamix, continue blending until it’s hot and the soup is ready. It will table about 6-7 minutes.
- If you are using a regular blender, transfer the soup to a pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream to the soup. If you are using Vitamix, add cream when the soup is warm. If you are making the soup on the stovetop, bring the soup to a simmer, and incorporate the cream.
- Taste the soup and adjust salt/pepper as required.
- The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Don’t add more herbs as a little bit goes a long way in this soup.
- Feel free to make this recipe in a normal blender and then simmer the soup in a saucepan on the stove.
- Add a little Parmesan or cheddar cheese to the soup with cream to enhance the creamy texture and flavor.