Guacamole is hands down the best dish in Mexican cuisine. The original dip is made from simple avocados and salt with tejolote and molcajete. Let’s see if guacamole is vegan and the best vegan guacamole recipe that you can make at home.
Is Guacamole Vegan?
Yes, traditionally guacamole is vegan, including most store-bought guacamole. However, there are certain recipes that may contain milk or egg products in the dip.
If you are making Guacamole at home, then no worries as you can use all vegan products. However, if you are buying it from the store, it’s best to read the ingredients.
What is Guacamole Made of?
Traditional guacamole recipes are plant-based. It goes the same for a store-bought dip as well. Here are some main ingredients used to make guacamole:
- Lime juice
Some non-vegan ingredients that you might find in some guacamole recipes are sour cream and whey protein concentrate.
Sour cream is non-vegan and is produced by fermenting cream with lactic acid. It thickens the cream and makes it sour. Sour cream is used in guacamole to prevent it from going brown with time and to add consistency to the dip.
Another common non-vegan ingredient in guacamole is whey protein concentrate. It’s used to add solubility, elasticity, and viscosity to the dip.
Some store-bough guacamole also contains sugar. Vegans don’t consume processed sugar because it contains bone char.
Best 100% Vegan Guacamole Brands
As you know some store-bought guacamole is not vegan, I am going to share a list of 100% vegan brands that you can try. These dips don’t contain any non-vegan or dairy products.
1. Yucatan Guacamole
It is packed with various herbs including garlic seasoning with ripe avocados. A perfect dip for snacking with chips, tacos, and fajitas.
2. Good Foods Tableside Chunky Guacamole
Good Foods guacamole does not contain any preservatives or artificial ingredients. It is a blend of avocados, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and fresh lime juice. It is also non-GMO certified.
3. Wholly Guacamole
Wholly Guacamole is 100% vegan with crushed avocados. The classic dip contains jalapeno peppers, garlic, onion, and distilled vinegar. It does not contain any sugar.
4. Sabra Classic Guacamole
Sabra guacamole comes in different flavors. There’s classic vegan guacamole, lime, Mexican street corn-inspired dip, and breakfast toast.
This vegan guacamole contains avocados, onion, tomatoes, salt, jalapeno peppers, garlic, lime juice, and ascorbic acid that helps keep the dip fresh.
5. Freshness Guaranteed Guacamole
Freshness Guaranteed Guacamole does not contain any sugar or dairy products. The guacamole contains a mix of herbs to make it more flavorful. It’s a delicious spread on toast, sandwiches, and wraps.
Homemade Vegan Guacamole Recipe
- 3 Avocados
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 10 cherry tomatoes sliced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice the avocados into small cubes in a mixing bowl, and mash them with a fork.
- Add fresh lime juice and mix in the avocados.
- Add sliced tomatoes, garlic, onion, and cilantro. Continue mashing with a fork.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with sliced veggies, tortilla chips, or fajitas.
- I like chunky guacamole, but if you want a more fine dip, you can blend the mixture, or use a pestle and mortar to mix everything together.
- If the dip is too bland, feel free to add red chili to adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- You can store the dip in the fridge for 2-3 days in an air-tight container.
- Because of fresh vegetables like onion, and cilantro, it is not ideal to freeze guacamole.
What makes guacamole not vegan?
Guacamole is generally considered safe for a plant-based diet, but some vegans may choose to avoid it because it contains Avocados. Avocados contain a little amount of fat, which some vegans choose to avoid.
Does guacamole have dairy in it?
No, guacamole is naturally dairy-free. It does not contain any dairy and is naturally creamy.
Vegan guacamole is a delicious and easy-to-make dip that excludes animal products like dairy. Follow this recipe to make a fresh batch at home today. Now you have a delicious vegan guacamole ready to enjoy as a dip, spread, or topping for your favorite dishes!