Toasty and crispy bread is a staple of American breakfast. You can enjoy it with a spread of fruit jam, some butter, cheese, or even egg. But what if you don’t have a toaster, or what if it stops working?
Can you use a microwave to toast bread? Microwave is mostly used to warm food quickly. Although unconventional, you can toast bread in the microwave. While it is not as good as toasting the bread in a toaster or a baking oven, it is a decent choice especially if you are in a hurry.
So, next time you are in a hurry, you can toast your bread slices in the oven and enjoy it with your favorite topping.
How To Toast Bread With a Microwave?
You might be surprised to learn that you can toast bread in the microwave. Just follow these steps to get your bread nice and crispy in the microwave:
- Get your bread and a couple of paper towels.
- Spread a little bit of butter on one side of the bread.
- Place the other side of the bread on the paper towel and put it in the microwave.
- Close the door of the oven and start for 30 seconds.
- Take the bread out and check. If it is not done, put it back for another 30 seconds.
- When the bread is nice and crispy, enjoy it with your favorite spread.
Another Method to Toast Bread With a Microwave
If your microwave comes with a grill rack, here is another method to get your bread nice and golden in the microwave, without a toaster. Here’s what you need to do:
- Take 2-3 slices of bread and apply a
- generous amount of butter on both sides of the bread slices.
- Place the slices on the microwave grill rack.
- Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes using the grill option.
- After 3 minutes, turn the slices over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Once it’s done, poke the top of the bread to make sure it’s crispy enough.
Tips for a Perfect Toasty Bread in Microwave
Now you know how to toast bread in the microwave. Here are some tips to get the best results:
- For best results, make sure to use good quality bread. Don’t use bread that is too soft as it will turn mushy. Some bread that I recommend using are Gluten-free Rye Bread, Rosemary Parmesan Bread, and Acorn Squash Bread.
- If you want to toast the bread for a large group of people, you can toast several slices of bread at once.
- Don’t overcook the bread in the oven as it will lose all moisture and turn chewy.
- Make sure to use the grill option in your microwave to get the best results.
- If you want to get creative, you can also add a slice of cheese or some other toppings.
- For crispy toast, use thin slices of bread as it will not take long to cook.
- For even cooking, make sure the slices of bread are not overlapping.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, or Italian seasoning for more taste.
Other Ways to Toast Bread
Apart from the microwave and toaster, here are some other ways to toast bread at home.
- You can toast the bread in skillet. Just heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat and put the bread in. Make sure to cook on both sides until golden brown. It yields crispy bread just like the toaster.
- You can also toast the bread in an oven. Just preheat the oven to 300F and place the bread slices on the baking sheet. Spread butter on the slices and cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the bread.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should I microwave the bread?
In general, you should microwave the bread for 2-3 minutes on high power. The time depends on how many bread slices you are cooking and how powerful your microwave is.
Why is my bread soggy after cooking in the microwave?
Your bread is probably soggy after cooking in the microwave because you are not cooking it long enough or not at a high enough temperature. Try microwaving it at a higher temperature for a longer period of time.
Why is my microwaved bread chewy?
Your bread might be chewy because you have not cooked it long enough in the microwave. If the bread is not cooked thoroughly, it will not be crispy, but chewy.
Can I toast bread in a convection microwave?
No, convection microwaves cannot make toast. In these microwaves, the heat comes from the sides, so it will not brown the top of the toast. It will only turn your bread stale and hard.
The bottom line is that you can toast bread in the microwave, but it will not be as great as the toaster. If you are short on time, just spread the bread slices with butter, and put it in the microwave. Cook for 3-4 minutes and you are good to go! Enjoy the toast with your favorite spread!