Make the delicious Erewhon Kale Salad at home by following this recipe. This copycat recipe is a classic and it makes a similar salad as available in the Los Angeles health store.
If you love Erewhon Market’s Kale Salad, but don’t live in LA, this recipe is for you. I am a big fan of the salad myself but driving to the market every day to get the salad seems like a hassle. With this recipe, you can make the salad at home and add more veggies and herbs to boost the flavor.
One of the best parts about making it at home is the price difference. Erewhon kale salad is around $14 for a small serving. If you make it at home, it’s more budget-friendly. In the same price range, I was able to make 4 servings of the salad!
Kale salad at Erewhon checks all the boxes – it’s healthy, delicious, and easy to make. Fresh kale is tossed in white beans, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and a banger salad dressing.
The salad is a full meal if you ask me, and it can double as a main course too if you add grilled chicken or tofu in there to make it more filling.
This kale salad is especially popular among vegetarians because it’s 100% vegan, and gluten-free. There is no dairy or sugar added to the salad.
This is a completely plant-based salad, but if you are making it at home, you can adapt and add more ingredients to suit your needs.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This kale salad is gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free.
- Kale salad is super nutritious and is packed with Vitamins and antioxidants.
- It is entirely plant-based and is ready in 15 minutes.
What are the key ingredients of Erewhon Kale Salad?
This kale salad is super easy to make as it contains simple ingredients. Here’s what you are going to need:
- Kale – For this salad, we need curly kale chopped into small pieces, or added as a whole.
- Lemon – Lemon dressing gives the salad a zesty and fresh flavor.
- Olive oil – It makes the dressing more flavorful, but if you want an oil-free salad, you can use tahini.
- Avocado – It’s a great creamy addition to the salad. Don’t use overripe or mushy avocado.
- Maple syrup – A small amount of syrup to sweeten the salad dressing. Use honey if you like.
- White beans – This salad uses white beans that are rich in fiber and iron. But you can use black beans as well.
- Pumpkin seeds – Pumpkin seeds give the salad a nice crunch and a nutty flavor.
- Hemb seeds – Adds a nutty flavor to the salad and are packed with protein and fiber.
- Salt and pepper – This is for seasoning the salad. You can use it as much as you like.
Variations and Substitutions
- If you don’t have fresh kale available, you can use pre-washed chopped kale. But I recommend getting fresh kale if possible.
- You can use canned beans for this recipe.
- Feel free to double the recipe for more servings.
- The salad can be stored in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 4 days. So, you can prepare it over the weekends for busy weekdays.
Try Other Recipes
- Lemon Garlic Pasta
- Roasted Garlic Alfredo Pasta
- Purple daikon radish salad
- Smoked poblano peppers
- Vegan Bagels
Erewhon Kale Salad Recipe (Copycat)
- 2 bunches of fresh kale washed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lemon
- 1 can of white beans 15 ounces
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Take washed kale, and remove leaves with your hands. Discard the stems and roughly chop the leaves on a cutting board. Place them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Whisk to dissolve everything.
- Pour the dressing into the kale and massage the leaves with your hands. You can wear hand gloves for this. This is an important step as it will make the kale soft.
- Now, add beans, seeds, and avocado to the kale and gently toss until everything combines well.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving. Enjoy!
- If you are using tahini instead of olive oil, you will need a bit of water in the dressing to make it thinner.
- If you are preparing the salad beforehand and want to serve it later, I recommend storing the kale and the dressing separately. When the guests have arrived, you can mix the salad quickly before serving.
- To keep the avocados looking fresh, drizzle a bit of lemon juice.
- If you cannot find curly kale, you can swap it with your favorite green like baby spinach, collard greens, swiss chard, or Chinese broccoli.
|Calories: 253kcal||Carbohydrates: 22g|
|Total fat: 16g||Protein: 9.3g|
|Sugars: 4.1g||Sodium: 280.5mg|