One of the most in-demand items at Chinese restaurants is Chinese Chicken Fingers. These are crispy and golden on the outside, while juicy and tender on the inside.
Chinese Chicken Fingers have authentic flavor, with close to no seasoning. It’s served with a sweet and sour sauce which makes it a perfect food for snacking.
The secret ingredient here is self-rising flour. Instead of using normal flour in the batter, restaurants use self-rising flour to make crispy chicken fingers. Self-rising flour helps baked items rise. It makes cakes and cookies more fluffy and crispy.
When used to make the batter, the chicken will turn out to have a fluffy coating, instead of a thin coating as on normal chicken tenders.
Another secret ingredient is seltzer water to make the tempura batter. Instead of normal water, this recipe uses sparkling water which gives the batter more lift and lightens the dough.
Why you will love this recipe
- Light and crispy snack that requires a few ingredients only.
- This finger-licking snack is low in fat and calories.
- It is great for people who are trying to lose weight.
- You can make this recipe in advance and store them in the fridge.
Chinese Sweet and Sour Sauce to Serve with Chicken Fingers
You can serve the fried chicken fingers with any dip you have like ketchup, mint chutney, or more. But for a truly traditional experience, I recommend serving it with Chinese sweet and sour sauce.
This sweet and sour sauce is mostly used in stir fry recipes across China. It is the main ingredient in a lot of dishes and is served as a dip as well.
There are different ways to make the sauce, but here’s what you are going to need for a basic sauce that is served in China:
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar/ lemon juice
Just combine all the ingredients in a pan, and simmer for a minute or so. You can also add chopped green onion and ginger to enhance the flavor of the sauce.
Chinese Chicken Fingers Recipe
Follow this recipe to make homemade chicken fingers coated in a crispy batter and served with sweet and sour dipping sauce.
- 2 boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Seltzer water
- Oil for frying
- Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine well.
- Add Seltzer water to the dry ingredients and mix well. The batter should have a thick consistency like the pancake batter.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat the deep fryer and oil.
- Dip the chicken strips into the batter and fry for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with a dipping sauce.
- If the batter is too runny, add more flour to it.
- If you cannot find seltzer water, you can substitute it with club soda. Another simple substitute is to mix water and lemon juice.
- The chicken fingers taste absolutely delicious with BBQ sauce as well, so if you are out of ingredients to make the sweet and sour sauce, you can serve it with BBQ sauce instead.
- The fried chicken fingers can be used to make sandwiches and wraps.
Try Other Recipes
|Calories: 117kcal||Carbohydrates: 4g|
|Protein: 3g||Fat: 10g|
|Cholesterol: 5mg||Sodium: 150mg|