Beef Broccoli Hawaii way is the most popular dish in takeaways. It goes perfectly well with noodles, and white steamed rice. If you are craving beef broccoli, you can follow this simple recipe to make it at home with a few ingredients.
I don’t see many people using broccoli in their dishes. There is a notion that its best suited to salads only. But I love using broccoli in my dishes because its not only healthy to eat, or the crunchy flavor of it goes best with meat and soups.
This variation of beef broccoli is very close to Panda Express’s recipe with no MSG, or any artificial meat tenderizers.
I like to serve beef broccoli with Hong Kong noodles, and Jamaican seasoned rice. You can also serve it with salad, garlic noodles, or simple steamed rice. For a midnight snack, you can take some of the beef with instant noodles.
Without further ado, here’s the beef broccoli recipe Hawaii version.
- 8 oz steak
- 6 oz broccoli
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine or sherry
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Baking Soda Solution
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- Take the beef and cut it into thin slices. Place beef slices into a small bowl and add baking soda mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade and add meat to it. Cover the bowl and let it sit in the fridge for an hour, or overnight if possible.
- Take a pot and fill it with water. Bring it to a boil and add broccoli florets to it. Blanche for 10-20 minutes. Remove the broccoli and let it sit in ice cold water for 1-2 minutes, and drain the water.
- In a nonstick skillet, take olive oil and make sure the heat is high. Stir fry the beef for 3-4 minutes on each side and once cooked, set it aside.
- Add more olive oil to the same skillet and add ginger, beef, broccoli, and the sauces over high flame. Stir fry until the sauce covers the meat and the broccoli.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, remove it from heat and serve hot with white rice.
- If you want to make the dish without any alcohol, just replace the wine with chicken stock.
- If you don’t have baking soda, you can use a meat tenderizer for beef. Using baking soda is the Chinese way to tenderize meat as it breaks the tough fibers of the meat, making it more tender.
- If you want more heat, you can add garlic chili paste to the sauce.
- I prefer the dish with less sauce, just enough to coat the meat and broccoli. However, if you want a more runny sauce, you can increase the sauce ingredients.
What is broccoli beef sauce made of?
The sauce is beef broccoli can be varied according to taste, but it’s generally made of garlic, ginger, chicken broth, lime juice, soy sauce, and sriracha.
How do you make beef stir fry without it being chewy?
To make beef less chewy and soft, make sure to cut the beef about 1/4 inch. Thin strips require less cooking, and it’s easy to chew.
Another way to make beef stir fry without it being chewy is to cut the beef against its grain. By cutting the grain, you cut through its fibers, making it shorter, and easy to chew.
|Calories: 250kcal||Carbohydrates: 10g|
|Protein: 26g||Fat: 11g|
|Sodium: 650mg||Cholesterol: 62mg|