Follow this recipe to make a color-changing magical butterfly pea flower cocktail to wow your guests this summer season.
The first time I tried butterfly pea flower lemonade was at a baby shower and it was so pretty that I felt like I was drinking a magical potion or something.
There’s something about that vibrant shade of purple with blue that catches everyone’s eyes and it’s so unreal. The whole concept screams magical and fantasy.
So, I had to try it for myself. And I decided to make cocktails instead with my favorite vodka. Ever since my first try at the cocktail, I always have a bag of dried butterfly pea flowers at home in case I’m feeling making the magical purple drink.
You can easily find dried flowers from Amazon, or you can check your local herb shop because these are not readily available in markets.
The butterfly pea flower is a PH indicator so it changes color based on the PH level. That is why when you increase the acidity of the drink, it changes color.
The most exciting part is that you can add butterfly pea flower syrup to just about anything for color, and it does not change the flavor.
Butterfly Pea Flower Cocktail Recipe
Follow this recipe to make the most visually appealing drink ever, with a twist of lime and vodka.
- 5-6 dried butterfly pea flowers
- 2 cups of hot boiling water
- 2 shots of vodka
- 1/4 cup sugar or sweet syrup of choice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges for garnishing
- In a large bottle, combine hot water and dried flowers. Keep it aside for 5-10 minutes for it to steep, and develop a dark blue-purple color. Let it cool.
- In your serving glass, add vodka, lemon juice, and sugar syrup. Mix well.
- Add a generous amount of ice cubes to the serving glass and pour in the butterfly pea flower mixture using a strainer.
- The acidity of the lemon will turn the drink into different shades of blue and purple. Enjoy!
More Ideas To Try With Butterfly Pea Flowers
If you’ve already got yourself a bag of dried flowers, don’t just stop at this butterfly pea flower cocktail, where there’s so much you can try.
If you’re not into alcohol, you can make mocktails using the purple liquid. Just skip the vodka, add some sparkling water, or soda into the drink and serve chilled.
Add purple and blue flower liquid to sushi rice to make colorful sushi. You can also use it to make purple Krispie treats monster or spiders on Halloween.
Dip hard-boiled eggs into the flower liquid to make colorful eggs for easter that your kids will absolutely love.
Also try the following recipes: