The Caribbean countries are a food haven as they have a great cuisine with tasty dishes that are mostly vegan. One famous dish that is common at my dinner table is Jamaican seasoned rice. It is well-loved among people in Canada because of its diverse taste.
With just a few common vegetables, you can make flavorful rice. Also, you can add more ingredients to make it to your taste. If you want a vegan, healthier version, you can stick to vegetables, and add tofu. For people who want a meaty option, you can add bacon, or fish to the rice.
Jamaican seasoned rice is a flavorful and aromatic dish that pairs well with a variety of Jamaican dishes, such as jerk chicken or curried goat.
Because of my love for rice, I love to experiment with various ingredients and recipes. Some of my favorites are this one, and Tuna Kimchi fried rice with egg.
This Jamaican seasoned rice recipe is so easy and one-pot, requiring little work. It’s a great go-to recipe for busy moms because it’s quick and easy. With so many flavors, I assure you that your family is going to love this.
Most importantly, the ingredients required for this recipe are easily available in the Canadian local markets.
It is a full meal, so you don’t have to prepare anything with it. But it can be complemented with chicken gravy, chili, salad (like Purple daikon), or grilled chicken. Think of this as a more delicious and healthier version of fried rice.
- 2 cups basmati rice or long-grain rice
- 8 oz chopped bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 Red and Green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups Jamaican pumpkin or butternut squash chopped
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- sweet corn
- 1/2 cup carrot chopped
- green onion
- green peas
- salt and pepper
- Take a pan, and heat 1 tbsp oil. Add bacon and fry until lightly crispy. set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat. Add garlic, onion, green onion, bell peppers, thyme, and other spices. Stir constantly until the onions and vegetables are soft.
- Add carrot, pumpkin, cabbage, and rice, and stir.
- Add sweet corn, bacon, and green peas.
- Add coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- When you can see the rice and the water create small bubbles on the surface, cover the pot with a tight lid, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Make sure to check the rice after 30 minutes so you don’t overcook.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and serve it hot with salad or curry.
- If you want spicy seasoned rice, you can add scotch bonnet pepper for fiery heat. In Canada, this pepper is easily available on Morrisons or Amazon.
- If your rice is not tender still, add 1/4 cup of water cover the pot with a tight lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- If you want more flavor, you can skip the water and substitute it with vegetable broth.
- Pizza on a pineapple is not a common preference for most, but pineapple goes great with Jamaican seasoned rice.
- You can store the rice in the refrigerator for a week.
Enjoy your homemade Jamaican seasoned rice! Adjust the seasonings to your taste preferences, and don’t forget to remove the scotch bonnet or habanero pepper if you add it for heat before serving, as it can be quite spicy.
Nutrition Facts of Jamaican Seasoned Rice
|Calories: 340kcal||Cholesterol: 19.3g|
|Fat: 13g||Sugar: 10.2g|
|Carbohydrates: 45g||Sodium: 220mg|