Flower essences have become very popular these days in Australia because they are a perfect remedy for a lot of ailments. Homemade flower essence helps relieve tension and stress and lifts the mood. Let’s see how you can make flower essence at home.
You will find plenty of famous brands in Australia selling various flower essences like Bach Original Flower Remedies, Energetix Fields of Flowers, and more. But you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars on a small bottle when you can make them at home.
Making flower essence at home is a joyful experience that you can do as a family. It’s super easy and you can get your kids to help you pick flowers as well.
A major benefit of making these essences at home is that you can customize the scent according to your preferences. And, all the ingredients you need are easily available in the Australian local markets.
What is a Flower Essence?
A flower essence is made from natural water. In this process, the flower petals are placed in water which is either boiled or placed in the sun. Sun exposure or heat exposure helps extract the essence of flowers.
The water is then preserved in alcohol and strained to remove all flower parts. A flower essence is dilute and contains no physical compounds from the flowers. It’s just water and alcohol.
A flower essence is known to help ease pain, support sleep, and ease menopausal symptoms. While some researchers say that its efficacy is nothing more than the placebo effect.
Nonetheless, aroma therapy with flower essence does work and it helps with anxiety. It also balances emotions and helps with emotional pain, rather than physical pain.
If you are into meditation and mindfulness activities, you can use flower essence to elevate the mood and set an ambiance.
When you are picking flowers for the essence, pay attention to how a flower makes you feel, and what emotions you have when you smell them. Take your time in choosing the flowers for making the essence.
How to Make A Flower Essence in Australia
You can make essence from your favorite flowers at home easily.
- 1 cup spring water
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup fresh flowers of choice
- Add 1 cup of water into a clear glass bowl or a jar.
- Add 1 cup of flowers to the water and mix.
- Place the bowl in the direct sunlight for 4-6 hours.
- Strain the flower essence using a fine mesh sieve into a small jar. Discard the flowers.
- Pour 1 cup of brandy into the essence and seal the jar. Store it in a dark cupboard for up to 6 years. This is called the mother essence.
- Place 10-12 drops of the mother essence into a bottle and mix it with 1/2 ounce of water and 1/2 ounce of brandy.
- This recipe will yield 1 pint of essence.
- Homemade flower essence is a gentle remedy, so they are safe for children and pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.
- If you don’t want to use alcohol, feel free to use vinegar or vegetable glycerin.
- Store the essence in a dark place, away from direct light.
- Although you can use a clear glass vile to store the essence, experts recommend using a dark glass vile as it maintains the bioactivity of the essence.
Can you make flower essences with dried flowers?
Yes, you can use dried flowers to make an essence. Both fresh and dried flowers can be used to make the essence at home.
How do you make flower essence without alcohol?
If you don’t want to use alcohol, create a 50:50 dilution of the essence and white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or glycerine.